Friday, November 22, 2013

Beginning to See Amazon.com Through Chomsky's Eyes

Living in Lewisville, Texas, I am very near the new Amazon facilities here in the area.  I am watching the local police departments fawn over the overtime work for which they are paid handsomely to control traffic from these gigantic warehouses.  I am made aware of how the top managers at Amazon curse at their workers to get optimum results.  I see how truckers are held up for days to unload their trucks, which impoverishes these honorable workers by all the waiting.  I see the pay so poor that families must share housing to live in the area.  I see a security system reminiscent of the cages from "Planet of The Apes," or some Orwellian/ "Joe Versus the Volcano" brain cloud scenario.  I'm half expecting to see a horse mounted Amazon supervisor chasing after an escaping hourly employee across the mammoth parking lots, a net about to be casts over the escapee.

I do see the "unregulated tyranny" that Dr. Chomsky wrote me about last month.  I see how all the economists seem to be pushing for unionization, and I agree.  Amazon.com employs 70,000 people to do the work of 700,000, all the while paying them the wages of teenagers.

Yes, I think moral (Gandhian) unionization is the path ahead, as companies like Amazon operate unchecked against the citizens of Texas and America.  The free market works both ways:  If they can build a tyranny, we can build a moral opposition to it.


Gene Chapman
ChapmanForTexasGovernor2014.com
Tolstoyan-Gandhian Libertarian Candidate for Texas Governor
[Endorsed by Dr. Noam Chomsky (Intellectual of the Age) and Dr. Ravindra Kumar (World's Most Prominent Gandhian Intellectual)]