Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Corporation

This morning, I've been doing a lot of thinking on the impact of the corporation in a stateless society.  It seems to me that the corporation, being a product of the state, should fall apart in its current form.  However, I note that American corporations have gone all over the world without much of a state to permit them in the local areas to do their deeds.

I have no problem with the existence of a corporation;  however, when that corporation preforms as a government (a manifestation of the powerful empowering the powerful to threaten murder against those who operate in ways the powerful do not wish -- Tolstoy's book, The Slavery of Our Times), then we have violence imposed upon the citizens.  This would need to be met with satyagraha (non-violent non-cooperation) until the leaders of the corporations behaved with love (Truth and Non-violence) toward the citizens.

Back in 1997 thru 2002, I was asked by Kirk Thompson, now Chairman of J. B. Hunt Transport (symbol:  JBHT), to provide him weekly advisories on how to run the company in the mindset of Warren Buffet, a man I'd studied in depth.  Kirk told me that the reason he continued our relationship for the five years it went was that "[I] always want to do the right thing."  With this kind of leadership, I see no problem with a corporation.

(I did stop helping out after I made something in the neighborhood of $500,000,000 to $600,000,000 in stock price valuation for the company with only a chicken fried steak dinner with Mr. Wooten (J. B. Hunt's Safety Director) as my reward in those five years.  My decision to stop helping would be an example of a tit-for-tat economic interrelationship.  Had I been compensated by even $1,000,000, I'm sure I'd be on the board of directors many years by now, and J. B. Hunt would be another many hundreds of millions down the road.  But that's life.)

Gene Chapman,
Tolstoyan-Gandhian Libertarian for Texas Governor
(Endorsed by Dr. Noam Chomsky, Intellectual fo the Age)
ChapmanForTexasGovernor2014.com
gkchapman2012@hotmail.com