Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Quick Read of Chomsky

In my initial read of the two books I am exploring of Chomsky's, I am so very happy for the simplicity of my life, that I do not have to be wrapped up in the complexity that he obviously lives within.  I am glad that I chose to follow the admonition not to lay up great wealth upon the earth, so that I have nothing I fear to lose.  I am happy that I have travelled across America so many hundreds of times in trucking, so that I see all of us as just overgrown 8th graders, nothing more.

When I awoke this morning, I was thankful for the sun shine that crept over the horizon through the trees.  And I thought of my many trips through Dr. Chomsky's Boston area and how beautiful the trees are there.  I think of how Henry Kissinger, someone Chomsky cites, must drink coffee in the morning, like my mom drinks.

We all are so similar.  I think of when I used to work at the Exxon Building over in Irving and how insecure all the top board members were.  There was the #3 guy from France;  such a prick, but I knew he was insecure at his roots.  There was Lee Raymond, the cleft pallet guy who saved Exxon from the Valdez incident and was made Chairman.  I used to stand in his office at 2 a. m. and look down toward Texas Stadium (where the Cowboys used to play).  I remember the night the merger with Mobile was announced and how I stood there in Lee Raymond's office realizing that I was in the most financially powerful corporate office in the world that night.  I peed in his toilet and I thought "how petty it all is," as I placed his plastic toilet seat down afterward.

I thought about how I dealt with Pope John Paul II when I was 19, and how he probably gets up in the morning and looks out at the same sun you and I see everyday.

We have no differences to fear from the powerful.  They ride no red carpet.  They put their pants on in the morning just like they did in 8th grade, and so they are not to be feared.  I pity the rich, as I've met with and advised so many of them to protect their digits in a brokerage account.  I feel sorry for Warren Buffett, whom I've interacted with on occasion, as he sits trapped watching MSNBC all day in his office in Omaha, a place I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy and a tv channel that grinds me to boredom.

Yes, I am a blessed man to have a reasonably good education, no romantic attachments to women of any deep meaning that would crush if lost, enough resources to stay in out of the weather, etc.  I see beautiful land scapes pass my window, as I pass across America each day.  To read Chomsky, one would think that I'm just driving past a wreck outside my window on my way to another mountain vista around the next bend.

Gene Chapman,
Tolstoyan-Gandhian Libertarian for Texas Governor
(Endorsed by Dr. Noam Chomsky, Intellectual of the Age)
ChapmanForTexasGovernor2014.com
gkchapman2012@hotmail.com