Saturday, June 22, 2013

Paula Deen and the "N" Word

I think I've said the "N" word once in my life.  I was alone, and I said it out loud just to hear it, as I remember.

Cooking Guru Paula Deen has been fired from the Food Network for using the word in the past, according to a legal deposition.  She has asked forgiveness.

A prominent preacher I used to hang out with and I were talking one day in South Carolina about 2005, and I told him that I was not proud of being educated in a Bible College where the leadership had said the "N" word.  He said, "You mean, nigger?" (a big grin on his face).  I replied, "Yes, that's the word."  I knew at that moment that I had no interest in him from then on.

I do not think it should be taken out of our American literature of Samuel Clemens and so forth.  It tells a story all its own.

However, Paula Deen's use seems to be far in the past and not something she now endorses.  This word is a violence to some and until it is no longer a violence to any, I suggest we not use it in everyday discourse.

Gene Chapman,
Tolstoyan-Gandhian Libertarian for Texas Governor
(Endorsed by Dr. Noam Chomsky)
ChapmanForTexasGovernor2014.com
gkchapman2012@hotmail.com