Wednesday, May 29, 2013

State Barriers to Saving Lives in Moore, Oklahoma Tornados

As I was finishing up my Welding degree back in 2011, there was an EF5 tornado in Tuscaloosa, Alabama that sucked up two feet of ground underneath the tornado for miles.  I began to work on a structure made of 1/4" steel plate, 8' x 4' sheets.  It would cost about $1,600 in materials and could be buried long ways in the ground to save lives.

I pitched it to the Small Business Administration, and they were awed by its simplicity and low cost per unit.  They hooked me up with a NASA engineer who told me that he could not sign off on the idea because of liability issues, even though he had the proper certification.  (If an engineer signs off on a structure, he also gets credit for it, not the inventor.)  I found a former worldwide President of the American Welding Society here in Dallas, Texas (a real live rocket scientist), and he told me he didn't have a PE (Public Engineer) certification, so he couldn't sign off on the idea, everyone excited along the way.  After several other attempts, engineers telling me to not give out too much information on this unprotected idea, one after the other, finally, I gave up on the idea that could have been utilized in Moore, Oklahoma to save every person in that town for a low end cost of $1,600 per unit/ home.

That is the state for you.

Do not take oaths (ends the state and all its systems of violence).

Gene Chapman,
Tolstoyian-Gandhian Libertarian for Texas Governor
ChapmanForTexasGovernor2014.com
gkchapman2012@hotmail.com