Sunday, May 26, 2013

Question for Arun Gandhi

Arun,

Back when I did my 40 day fast in 2003 against the IRS, one of your staff people told me that "we do not fast against those who do not love us."  I ended the fast in part because of this.  How do we know when to fast is Satyagraha?

(Irwin Schiff had also told me to stop the fast, as he was my off switch, and I knew I was losing mental faculty.)

Gene

Reply from Arun:

Fast is never used to Coerce people into doing something you want them to do. Fast is done only when you have the spiritual stature to appeal to people as grandfather did when the Hindus and Muslims were killing each other. The other fasts were always for personal awakening. The only time he fasted to pressure the government it was when the Indian government refused to give Pakistan its share of the cash assets. At that time he said if India was going to start its new life with acts of injustice and untruth then he did not wish to live in such an India. He said it was better that he died. The Indian government felt guilty and relented. Hope this makes it clear. Arun

Arun Gandhi

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a room with one mosquito!